About Me

My name is Sebastian Grant, I keep and have worked with a huge diversity of species, and yes I know how lucky I am! Here in my short video's and writings I will try to convey how I've kept some of the animals I have kept mainly at home but also at work over the years. I will try and be honest about what I've done. On how I’ve kept things both at home at professionally and what’s gone wrong. It has long been a belief of mine that many captive animals survive in spite of what we do, rather than because of it. Here's how and why I've messed up or succeeded. The videos are mainly from my YouTube channel, SebastiansAnimals (catchy huh?). I would like to state that the opinions expressed in this blog are my own and not in any way meant to be taken as the views of anyone else I may mention in these ramblings. Sebastian. March 2012. Main photo by Jane Hallam.

Monday 13 April 2015

London April 2015

Sebastian Grant on work and home life in London.
So!
How green is my best friend?*

Although keeping animals is not the "greenest" thing you can do for your planet, a lot of studies have shown that people around animals tend to have better health, or feel they have a better quality of life.

In which case;

I expect to live for a very long time.

I work around some of the most amazing animals on the planet, and at home I keep a few other amazing animals.

What we call, a win, win.

A few montages of life at Grant Towers so far this year.

April


March



Obviously works great, loads going on as always, including the recent arrival of Professor Wu, the Chinese giant salamander. 
Andrias davidianus

Here's me offering him food soon after he arrived.


With thanks to Cat1 for photography.

Rinca and Raja
 Komodo dragons
Varanus komodoensis
The two dragons were put together, and they didn't get on too well.


Rinca
Varanus komodoensis

A Komodo dragon walking around Central London
(Don't panic, it's in his outdoor paddock!)

One of the many things in my day to make me stop and feel grateful.


king cobra
Ophiophagus hannah
Here the king cobra is moved into a temporary enclosure while his old one is re-themed.

Amazing.



*There has been a lot of talk has been about a recent article in NewScientist
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427311.600-how-green-is-your-pet.html

Although keeping animals at home is certainly not the greenest thing you can do, I do feel this paper doesn't cover the whole issue.
To see a slightly less biased view on this issue please read this.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersguides/food/dogfood.aspx